[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Reorganized documentation: proof of concept

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Thu Aug 24 18:00:09 EDT 2017

Hi,

But without complications, would life be interesting? ;)

More seriously, I could envision a way for the web staff client to
link to the appropriate version (and section) of the community
documentation in a reasonably maintainable way.  Most pages in the web
staff client have predictable URLs; for example, if the path contains
'cat/bucket/record', documentation on copy buckets is what's needed.
An Evergreen system knows its own version, so that plus the relevant
part of the URL gives us something that could be converted to a link
to the documentation site. There would have to be some sort of index
mapping from version + staff interface URL to the appropriate
documentation section, of course; depending on how we do it, that
mapping could be maintained as part of Evergreen or on the
documentation website.

Since the documentation also lives in the Evergreen source tree, I can
also imagine building the HTML version of the documentation as part of
the Evergreen installation process, allowing the documentation to be
pointed at a local copy (and one that could be customized).

Upshot: I think the idea has merit, and it would also take some effort
to pull off, but I think it would be achievable.

Regards,

Galen

--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
Equinox Open Library Initiative
phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
email:  gmc at equinoxInitiative.org
web:  https://equinoxInitiative.org