[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Getting the web client ready for release 2.12

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Jan 6 16:08:35 EST 2017

Hi all,

It's hard to believe, but we're just a month away from feature slush for
the 2.12 release.

As I mentioned in my RM proposal, my main goal for this release is to
have the web client ready for trial production use. There have been many
bug fixes and new functionality added to the web client over the past
couple of months. Many thanks to Galen Charlton, Jason Etheridge, Mike
Rylander, Bill Erickson, Kyle Huckins, and Billy Horn for their web
client code contributions that have have been merged into Evergreen
since November.

DIG has also incorporated web client documentation into its two upcoming
hackaway days on February 17 and March 16, a big step towards getting
good documentation in the hands of the people who will be using the new
client.

However, there is still a lot of work left to be done on the web client.
Therefore, I am recommending that we schedule a Web Client Hacking Day
where folks can focus on working on web client bug fixes and other tasks
that will make the transition to the web client go more smoothly for our
users. Ideally, this event would be scheduled on a day when developers
with the most web client experience are available to answer questions.
In addition to working on code, other contributors might want to help by
testing available code or helping with the web client documentation.

I've scheduled a Doodle poll for dates at the end of this month. If
you're interested in participating, please fill out the poll at
http://doodle.com/poll/r77w6ci3a5urcyrz by the end of the day Wednesday,
January 11.

I've spent some time looking through the current web client bugs that
have been reported in Launchpad. Due to much of the progress that has
been made over the past few months, I see only one bug that I would
consider to be a release blocker for using the web client on a trial
basis. The renew and edit due date bug at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1437109, which is dependent on
the code at https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1485374, is
something that is important for production use, even if staff have a XUL
client running at the same time, because it's a task that's performed
quite frequently at circ desks.

Although they are not release blockers, there are other bugs that are
important for a smooth transition to the web client. I'll be
highlighting some of those on a regular basis and also before the web
client hacking day to see if we can get some eyes on them. If any of you
think there is a very important web client bug that should be
highlighted, feel free to let me know.

I also wanted to mention that I'm planning to do more aggressive merging
of the web client collab branch in the weeks that lead up to the release
to make it easier for more people to contribute code to the web client.

Feel free to let me know if you have any comments or questions. I hope
many of you can help out on web client hacking day!

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator