[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] OpenSearch - Relevance

Jim Taylor jtaylor at jtdata.com
Mon Jul 31 15:51:05 EDT 2017

Hoping someone can tell me how to get useful results from opensearch.  I submit a search such as the following…

http://evergreen.asburyseminary.edu/opac/extras/opensearch/1.1/ATS/marcxml-full/title/Bible+in+Mission?count=25

but I have to go to the 5th page to find this title.   Is there a way to tell opensearch to sort by relevance?

I’ve looked at opensearch.org but not seeing anything helpful and can’t find anything the Evergreen documentation that applies…may just not be doing the right search of course.

Open to other suggestions as well.  I have tried

                http://evergreen.asburyseminary.edu/opac/extras//browse/mods/title/ASLAN/Bible%20in%20Mission?count=20 <http://evergreen.asburyseminary.edu/opac/extras/browse/mods/title/ASLAN/Bible%20in%20Mission?count=20>

and it works much faster unless there are no results and then it can take about 45 seconds to get a response.  The results seem far more appropriate but not as good as what is returned in the OPAC and the 45 second delay for no results is a non-starter for that approach.

Are there any other options or ways to make the above work better and faster?   Any way to return the OPAC search results in an XML format?

Any other suggestions or links to documentation for the above that might shine some light in my vast dark cavern of ignorance?

Thanks.

Jim