[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Importing order records from cataloging without using acquisitions

Daniel Solove dsolove at bapl.org
Tue May 16 12:01:50 EDT 2017

Hello,

We're migrating to Evergreen this coming October.  The following is from
the Evergreen 2.11 manual:

"If your library simply wants to add on-order copies to the catalog so that
patrons can view and place holds on titles that have not yet arrived,
acquisitions may be more than you need.  Adding those on-order records via
cataloging is a simpler option that works well for this use case."

This is what we currently do with our Baker & Taylor 360 MARC profile to
import order records into our current ILS using a 949 tag and specific
rules in the subfields.  Our current system allows an item to be created
without a barcode.   I have been told that our 949 tag would need a
sequential dummy barcode for Evergreen.   B&T can provide me sequential
barcodes if I order them from their cataloging services at a cost, which is
OK is that’s what is needed.

We prefer not to use the acquisitions module as it is indeed more than we
need for our situation.  We keep track of the materials budget separately
and have no need to receive each ordered item as they arrive.  We also
don't use B&T grids or EDI services for they are also more than we need.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Dan

--

*​Daniel Solove
Head of Acquisitions, Library Systems, & Technology