[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Aged_Circulation

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Fri Sep 1 17:15:08 EDT 2017

On 09/01/2017 04:50 PM, Jim Taylor wrote:
> Okay.  Thanks.
>

> So there is no duplication?   Everything in aged_circulation was once in
> circulation and is moved, not copied, to aged_circulation?  It just
> loses some of the info?  Or is it copied and everything in
> aged_circulation is still in circulation, assuming one hasn’t deleted
> rows in circulation?

There is no duplication. The action.aged_circulation is for statistical
reporting while breaking the link to the patron who had the item checked
out.

Circulations get moved under three circumstances in stock Evergreen:

1. A patron is deleted. This moves all of the patron's circulations from
action.circulation to action.aged_circulation

2. A row or row(s) in action.circulation are deleted. The
action.age_circ_on_delete trigger moves deleted action.circulations to
action.aged_circulation.

3. The action.purge_circulations function is run. This function is meant
to be run periodically to enforce patron privacy. It's behavior is
controlled by two internal flags: history.circ.retention_age and
history.circ.retention_count. The purge_circulations function is often
run from cron via the purge_circulations.srfsh script. NOTE: This
function will take a *long* time to run for the first time on a system
that has had much activity. The srfsh script will likely time out before
the database function finishes and nothing will get moved.

If you have not been doing 2 or 3, then the aged_circulation entries you
see are likely because of 1.

You can delete rows from action.aged_circulation if you wish. Keep in
mind that this could lead to the loss of statistical information
depending on what reports you use.

HtH,
Jason