[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Towards more consistent terminology in the web client

Elaine Hardy ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed Aug 8 15:41:30 EDT 2018

I do like Holdings transfer. I think it is a good descriptor of what we are
doing with the functionality.

A little quibble, though with not having the button labelled Add volumes
and copies. I realize that is cumbersome, however, it is more descriptive,
especially from a cataloger's point of view.

Add volume just adds the volume and does allow for empty volumes (great
having that back).

Adding volumes and copies occurs either when there are no holdings attached
for a library OR for when a volume and copy with a different call number
needs to be attached. Examples of this is when a library might desire to
have a copy in a circulating location and another in a reference location,
and the latter needs a call number prefix. Or, if volumes in a mulitvolume
set (serial or monograph) are acquired over time.

Adding copies means a volume already exists (either empty or with other
copies attached) and a new copy with the same call number is being added.

Perhaps labeling the button/drop down menu  Add vol/copy?

As to call number verses volume in Evergreen. The best explanation I can
come up with for how I see the two is that the volume is the container for
the item and the call number is the label for that container.

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service/PINES
1800 Century Place, Ste. 580