[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Question about label names in Print Item Labels interface

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Aug 16 18:11:43 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I'm sending along a question to the list that I also posted on Launchpad at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1787479.

We have been working with Emerald Data Networks on code that would allow
printing spine / pocket labels to an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet. The code is still a
work in progress, but, in initial testing, we're finding some difficulty
using the names given to these label in the web client.

When item label printing was added to the web client, Jason Etheridge noted
in bug 1704873 that they called this interface Item labels to make it a
little more generic. I'm guessing this is also why the spine and pocket
labels were renamed as left and right label, which works well in the
current implementation.

We've been trying to maintain the spirit of a more generic interface, but
have been struggling with the left / right designations under this project.

Here is the problem. Under our current implementation, a label set doesn't
always have to be one spine (left) label and one pocket (right) label.
There is a place where users can designate that the left label be used for
column 1, the right label for column 2, and another right label for column
3. They could also conceivably put the right label in column 1, in which
case it would appear to the left of the left label. With this additional
flexibility, the 'left' and 'right' labels don't really make sense.

I tried to keep things generic by renaming them as label 1 and label 2, but
these terms have turned out to be a little too generic and lead to a less
intuitive UI.

I would like to float the idea of returning to spine / pocket as the
labels. Staff understand what these labels mean, and it will help us in
providing clearer explanations on what different settings do. However, I'm
also open to other ideas people may have.

Let me know what you think!

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier