[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] OpenSRF / Evergreen assistance

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Fri Aug 17 07:20:21 EDT 2018

On 08/16/2018 01:27 PM, JonGeorg SageLibrary wrote:
> It turned out one of the settings in the EJabberd yml config file was
> wrong which was preventing OpenSRF from initializing properly. I set it
> to plain for the passwords like the instructions
> [http://evergreen-ils.org/documentation/install/OpenSRF/README_3_0_1.html]
> said and apparently it's supposed to be set to scram for OpenSRF 3+.

Um, no. That last statement is incorrect. OpenSRF cannot do SCRAM, but
SCRAM is now the default with ejabberd settings.  You have to change the
password back to plain text with all versions of OpenSRF.

> As far as forum, I just meant someone who's brain I could pick without
> posting every step through the Discussion Group.
>
> The issue with the test server is that the others back up to it, so I'm
> sure there is something there that I need. Regardless now that OpenSRF
> is working, I can proceed but will ask more questions if I run into any
> other surprises.

You can always just reinstall OpenSRF and Evergreen on top of an
existing installation. That is how upgrades are typically done.

I would also recommend using a virtual machine or a dedicated server for
testing. I would also recommend using your backup server strictly for
backups and not for any other purpose. I understand that budgets are
likely constrained, but you can test Evergreen on a rather minimal
hardware configuration. I typically use 4GB of RAM and 40GB of disk for
my test VMs where the database runs on another server, or if I am using
the test dataset.

HtH,
Jason