[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [External] Re: Towards more consistent terminology in the web client

Patrick, Irene irene.patrick at ncdcr.gov
Fri Aug 17 09:34:51 EDT 2018

One’s view on this probably depends greatly on background.  I strongly disagree that using volume as terminology is Stockholm syndrome.  We’ve been on Evergreen for over a year now, but prior to that we were on Voyager for 15 years.  Voyager had a roughly similar structure.  In Voyager, the structure was bib record, MFHD or volume record, and item record.  The bib record was obviously the MARC record, the MFHD/volume record stored the location and call number, and all the items that shared the same location and call number were attached to that volume record.  Using volume as the term for the intermediate layer makes perfect sense to me.  I prefer it to using “call number” because call number to me is an attribute of something else, not an entity of its own to which items can be attached.

Evergreen’s structure is obviously not exactly the same, and since we are now part of a consortium which was set up long before we came on board, I don’t have full understanding of how the underlying structure was set up.  Even so, “call number record” just doesn’t feel right to me.

Before Voyager, we were on Dynix, which only had bibs and items, so it wasn’t even an issue there.

[cid:image001.png at 01D4360D.60883140]Irene Patrick
Library & Information Management Systems Librarian
NC Dept. of Natural and Cultural Resources
919.807.7413  |  irene.patrick at ncdcr.gov

109 E. Jones St.  | 4640 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4600
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/ncghl>  Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/ncpedia>  YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/statelibrarync>  Website<https://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/>

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.