[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] 3.2 feature freeze and more
klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Aug 28 14:38:51 EDT 2018
In looking at the list of showstoppers, I see one has a pullrequest, so it
seems reasonable it could be tested and merged soon. For the other bugs,
does anyone have a sense of whether any are particularly complex? Or are
they mostly straightforward bugs that just haven't been addressed yet due
to lack of tuits? If it's the latter, could we consider delaying the full
release (with xul removal) until the showstoppers are fixed?
I'm concerned about the breakage that is likely to occur the longer we
continue to make the xul client available in our releases, but these bugs
were identified as real issues in getting libraries to adopt the web
client. At this time, there are just a handful of remaining showstoppers,
and if we can commit to getting them resolved before the full release, I
think it will make a smoother transition to 3.2 for our libraries.
Massachusetts Library Network Cooperative
(508) 343-0128klussier at masslnc.org
On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 6:47 PM Bill Erickson <berickxx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 5:24 PM scott.thomas at sparkpa.org <
> scott.thomas at sparkpa.org> wrote:
>> Hi Bill,
>> I have two questions about this:
>> 1. You mentioned a vote. Who is the “we” that votes?
> Good question. This would be a core developer vote. I started typing
> this as a developer list message, then added the general list just before
> From my perspective, this vote is more about getting a public record of
> developer buy-in (or otherwise) as is typically the case before proceeding
> with a large architectural change. It also acts as a "should we do this?"
> safety valve. However, I call the vote now because in my opinion as RM we
> are ready to proceed and I suspect that's what we'll decide. It's not done
> 'til it's done, though.
> It's also worth reminding everyone we are also providing extended support
> for Evergreen 3.1, so users can continue using the XUL client for a longer
> period of time. Normally, a release is supported for 12 months of bug
> fixes, plus 3 months of security fixes. 3.1 will be supported for a longer
> period of time -- duration TBD -- so sites will have more time before
> needing to upgrade to 3.2. This will buy us more time in the community to
> continue squashing bugs as well.
>> 2. If it is determined that not enough blockers are fixed, does
>> this mean that a 3.2 version of XUL will be made available and XUL will not
>> be removed until 3.3
>> Yes, if the core developers vote not to proceed with XUL removal, it
> would be delayed until the next release cycle (3.3).
> Just to offer some perspective, from the dev side it's not just a question
> of how many web staff blockers remain, but how much work is required to
> resolve each, who can sign up to fix them, how many sites they likely
> affect, how much developer time will be siphoned away from fixing these
> issues trying to maintain XUL in 3.2 (!), the fact the XUL is already a
> little bit broken in 3.2 based on the agreement it would it would be
> removed, etc, etc.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Open-ils-general