[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Web Client on IOS

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Mon Jan 29 13:38:23 EST 2018

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:27 PM, Boyer, Jason A <JBoyer at library.in.gov> wrote:
> To be more specific (I thought I had filed a bug about this but apparently
> it was lost in tabs half-written...): the single call to
> boardcastChannel.postMessage(...) is what kills Safari and Edge. I don't
> personally see the benefit of allowing those two to just die off for a
> single function call (wrapping it in a try allows them to work again) but
> the newer the feature we require the smaller the range of browsers we'll
> allow to work.
>
> If the consensus is that Chrome is the new official client we should
> probably state that outright (gross).

Well, we've been consistent that the web staff client requires Chrome
or Firefox and it is documented [1]; iOS is just unusual in that we
don't get to run "real" Chrome or Firefox on that platform.

That said, I agree that the BroadcastChannel stuff can readily be
wrapped in try and/or if statements to restore basic functionality to
Safari and friends; in the case of iOS, bug 1724915 is very likely
less of an issue for mobile devices to begin with.

[1] http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/3.0/_web_client_requirements.html

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager