[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Monograph Parts in Consortiums

Goben, Anna AGoben at library.IN.gov
Mon Jun 4 08:09:58 EDT 2018

Hi Sylvia,

In Indiana, we use parts heavily for resource sharing, so scoping to specific branches/systems would actually work directly against our goals to maximize the pool of available targets.  What we have talked about instead is a way to scope the holds on parts to only show those parts that are available to the patron (either via transit or locally).  Due to the complexity of our holds rules, we do not anticipate that will happen any time soon though.

We have shared style guides to build our parts so that there aren’t unnecessary duplications of parts and for sorting purposes.  Also for high demand/heavily parted titles, we have asked that even those libraries that aren’t resource sharing use parts so that patrons have a consistent experience.  It does mean some extra work for your catalogers, especially up front for any major collection, but in the long run, our patrons have indicated they really appreciate the ability to request the specific part they want regardless of who owns it.  (And generally, they don’t care who owns it as long as they can get it and get it quickly.)

-Anna

Anna Goben
Evergreen Indiana Coordinator
Indiana State Library
140 N Senate Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46204
317-234-6624
Fax: 317-232-3713

From: Open-ils-general [mailto:open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Kathy Lussier
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2018 11:25 AM
To: Evergreen Discussion Group <open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org>
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Monograph Parts in Consortiums

**** This is an EXTERNAL email. Exercise caution. DO NOT open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unexpected email. ****
________________________________
Hi Sylvia,
I do not know of a way to limit the display of parts to the scoped library without development.

Just to give some background on this feature, one of the primary reasons it was developed was precisely so that holds on a specific volume or disc could be applied across the entire consortium. Prior to the existence of parts, the only way to place a hold on a specific volume or disc was to place a volume-level hold, which targets copies that share the same call number owned by the same org unit. For our consortia, this was too limiting because we want our part holds to be fillable by all libraries just as we do with title holds. We don't use any hard or soft hold boundaries in our consortia that might limit which libraries can fill a hold.

If you want to limit the holds to just holdings within the library or system, you could probably refrain from adding parts, make the volume hold link available to the public, and encourage them to place holds that way. However, I think this would be very unintuitive and would lead to a lot of title holds on the record that could be filled by a random volume.

Barring that, I think development would be required to get what you're looking for.

Kathy

--

Kathy Lussier

Project Coordinator