[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] SIP authentication

Josh Stompro stomproj at exchange.larl.org
Fri Mar 2 15:51:08 EST 2018

Hello Diane,   Our EG/SIPServer setup does include patron expiration info, and how much the user owes.  That can be used by the vendor to block access based on the account being expired and owing more than a certain amount.  But the vendor that is using SIP2 to authenticate has to handle that logic on their end.  The sip response just sends the data about blocks in the message.

It looks like the AF field also get set to blocked as well as the expiration date being sent in the PA field in the case of the account being expired.

In the case of owing too much, the AF field again is set to "blocked" and the BV field has the total owed.

So all they should have to do is look for AF = blocked and then refuse the authentication request.  It seems like if you give them a few example test accounts they should be able to figure it out.

That said, you may still run into vendors that refuse to handle things correctly on their end.  You could also look into modifying the SIPServer software to short circuit the patron info/patron status responses.  We just did something similar to keep patrons in certain profile groups from logging into certain services.  OCLC refused our request for them to make use of the permission group info that gets sent along with the 64 patron status response, so we had to handle it on our end.  I can give you details on the changes we made if you want to go down that route.

Josh Stompro - LARL IT Director