[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] discouraged

scott.thomas at sparkpa.org scott.thomas at sparkpa.org
Sat Mar 17 08:42:41 EDT 2018

Pennsylvania Integrated Library System began implementing the Web Client in early January; initially in test mode, but now several of our libraries are using it in production, and we are deploying to more of our 121 libraries as training allows. (Our new migrations never even get to see XUL.) Our experience has been much different. Now let me start by saying the our consortium carries an inherent bias against XUL. XUL’s slowness, especially in libraries with bandwidth challenges, is a source of many complaints and creates a barrier when trying to get additional libraries to join the consortium because people talk. Evergreen was getting a reputation in PA as the “slow ILS.” Given the substantial performance improvements with the Web Client (and some of the cool new Web Client-only features like emailing of receipts, User Buckets, and User Search in Place Hold), our libraries are willing to overlook some (mostly) minor bugs.

To date we have documented 56 issues that are affecting us. This was expected and not a cause for concern. Most are minor issues that can be worked around, but a few are very problematic for some of our constituencies. Our libraries that generate pocket labels by uploading a .csv from the Item Status grid into a 3rd party software are stymied by having authors and titles in lower-case. Our larger libraries are not pleased with the bug (probably a decision) to limit displays of non-bucket grids to 100 lines. We are fixing these. (More accurately we are contracting with another entity to have them fixed because we do not employ a developer that can contribute Evergreen code.)

Evergreen belongs to us (all of us), and, if we don’t like something about it, it is up to us to fix it. Kathy and the original team who worked on the Web Client should be saluted for bringing it so far. Now additional libraries are starting to use it. Are we finding bugs? Sure. Do we disagree with some of the decisions made? Absolutely. (I will disagree with one thing Kathy said: over the year I have done several client changes with proprietary ILSs and always found very few bugs or problems, but these companies had a room full of testers. In an open source environment, the testing and reporting and fixing is on us.) If there are bugs that you find very problematic and, like us, do not have direct access to developers who can contribute code to Evergreen, contract with an entity who can. If you don’t have the resources to completely fund a bug fix on your own, post to this list and see if you can find funding partners.

Again, we are just happy that our staff members no longer have time to get a cup of coffee while waiting for a patron search to complete.

Scott

Scott Thomas
Executive Director
PaILS / SPARK