[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [External] [Evergreen-acq] Overview and mockups for acquisitions development project

Patrick, Irene irene.patrick at ncdcr.gov
Thu May 10 16:25:12 EDT 2018

Kathy,

Today is my first day back after the conference where I've had time to look at list mail, so I just saw your message today.  I'm very excited to see this work on the Acquisitions module!  I'm especially happy to see the proposal to handle provider records and searching more like the patron records, which is what I've been wishing for ever since we migrated to Evergreen last year.

I have a couple of comments on the proposal.  One is that in the provider record, I don't see a field for FEIN.  Our budget office has required us to provide the FEIN for all our vendors, for the past 20 years or so.  They will not pay anyone without an FEIN or SSN, and have required us to get that information from our providers. I wonder if you all could consider adding a dedicated field for FEIN on the provider records, along with the name, provider code and SAN.

Our other big problem with the provider records is that we made extensive use of vendor notes in our former ILS.  These were actually all migrated to Evergreen.  But they're useless to us because, although there is a notes field in the Evergreen provider record, it does not display in the client.  I don't see a notes field for providers anywhere in the proposal.  No doubt adding a notes field would throw off the quote provided, but it's a big concern for our library.  We've got plenty of places for notes on patron records in Evergreen; I'd like to see something similar for provider records.  Maybe this could be kept in mind for future development?

Those two points aside, this proposal would be a great advance for acquisitions in Evergreen.  I am looking forward to seeing the improvements!

Irene Patrick
Library & Information Management Systems Librarian
NC Dept. of Natural and Cultural Resources
919.807.7413  |  irene dot patrick at ncdcr dot gov
109 E. Jones St.  | 4640 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4600
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  YouTube  Website

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.