[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Call for Release Manager nominations - Evergreen 3.3

Daniel Wells dbwells at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 18:53:35 EDT 2018

Dear Evergreen Community,

After some consideration, I am writing to offer myself as release manager
for 3.3.

Our library is an independent academic installation, and will be live on
Evergreen for 9 years this December.  I served as Release Manager most
recently for 3.1, and previously for releases 2.5 and 2.6.  In addition to
my RM experience, I have also been part of the Buildmaster team since 2.11.

My general experience in attempting to *plan* releases has not always
turned out, so my goal this time around would be to focus on the
fundamentals of managing a release.  I will review what I can, code where I
must, and encourage and cajole as necessary to move the project forward.

As I am seeking a position of at least some small influence, it may also be
worth knowing where my personal interests lie in Evergreen development.
First, we've taken a good first step into modern Angular, but we will need
to remain diligent.  Wrapped up with that will also be necessary changes to
our translation infrastructure.  Second, though sometimes messy and
unglamorous, we must still make serious attempts to clean up dead and dying
code in our codebase.  Some areas there are obvious (XUL), but others tend
to build up unnoticed, and can be very frustrating to discover when trying
to troubleshoot certain bugs.

As far as timeline, I'll keep it simple:

2/20/19 - Feature freeze
2/27/19 - Beta release
3/20/19 - Release Candidate
3/27/19 - Final release

I think the feature freeze / beta separation is a little different than
what we've planned to do in the past, but I also think it is a little more
realistic than saying that the feature freeze date *is* the beta release
date.  That tends to make for either a pretty unstable beta, or a late
release of the actual beta, take your pick :)

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Dan