[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Issue creating the Evergreen DB

JonGeorg SageLibrary jongeorg.sagelibrary at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 20:46:43 EDT 2018

Greetings again,
So I've gotten as far as step 13.1 on
https://evergreen-ils.org/documentation/install/README_3_1.html#__configure_the_apache_web_server

I'm at the step of creating the evergreen user *createuser -s -P evergreen*
- but each time I get an error---
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to
server: No such file or directory
        connections on Unix domain socket
"/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

looking at /var/run/postgresql/ there is in fact no .s.PGSQL.5432 - which
the forums suggested I run a purge and re-install which I already did once.
They also suggested running *sudo apt-get install --reinstall
postgresql-9.5* which did not create the .s.PGSQL.5432 socket, and when I
try and run *./pg_ctl reload *or *./pg_ctl restart *from the
/usr/lib/postgresql/9.5/bin location it tells me no database is specified.
And when I try to specify the location that *sudo -u postgres psql -c "show
data_directory;" *shows me on the alternate server which is
/var/lib/postgresql/9.3/main with *./pg_ctl restart -D
/var/lib/postgresql/9.5/main* it tells me it's not a database cluster
directory - and without the -D it tells me that environment variable PGDATA
is unset but so far I cannot find a command or config file that lets me set
it that works as I'm checking the working server and not finding where it
is set since postgresql.conf has the data_directory set and running
pg_config also displays them on the test server and running server. When I
try *./postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.5/main *it says it cannot find the
postgresql.conf file which makes sense since it's in
/etc/postgresql/9.5/main. So should I just purge it again and re-re-install
postgres?

postgres is running - *ps axf | grep postgres* returns
 8098 pts/0    S+     0:00  |                       \_ grep postgres

running *netstat -nltp | grep 5432 *and *netstat -nlp | grep 5432* as root
return nothing, no errors. IPTables -L shows nothing helpful -- I added
port 5432 to iptables.

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  sage.eou.edu         anywhere             tcp
dpt:postgresql

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

I even tried creating a softlink in case it was looking at the wrong
location as suggested on a forum - no change. *ln -s /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.543* - except the issue is that there is no
.s.PGSQL5432 in the /tmp/ folder either. Yes, I removed it when it did not
resolve the issue.

I've tried running *psql -U postgres -h localhost* to create the evergreen
user without success.

I changed the /etc/postgresql/9.5/main/postgresql.conf file to
*listen_addresses
= '*' *and added the test server's IP under IPv6 local connections like the
other servers have it in the /etc/postgresql/9.5/main/pg_hba.conf file.
They also had the following set:

# Database administrative login by Unix domain socket
local   all             postgres                                trust

local   all             all                                     trust

I've tried it as both peer and trust without success.

I've restarted the postgres service after those changes.

When I go to /openils/bin/srfsh and ask for the ils version I get 3.1.1.
Suggestions?
-Jon