[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [External] Re: Auto Renew Feature

Murphy, Benjamin Benjamin.Murphy at ncdcr.gov
Wed Dec 4 13:16:52 EST 2019

This conversation has been really helpful. One of my questions had to do with implementation. I think you addressed it Michele, but I wanted to make sure I understood.

“To avoid the transition issue with new checkouts vs. existing checkouts, we update open circulations for the opting in library which are due on the start date and beyond to set the autorenewal remaining field equal to the renewal remaining field. In that way, items that were checked out prior to the rule change will be eligible to autorenew.”

Let’s say you modify your circulation policies with some new autorenewal rules in place. So, the only materials that will auto-renew are the materials that check out subsequent to that circ policy implementation, for items that hit that new policy when they check out? So, if a library wanted to turn on auto-renewals and have everything currently checked out and eligible for auto-renewals begin to auto-renew, you’d have to update the values in the auto_renewal and auto_renewal_remaining fields in the action.circulation table? Not sure if the duration_rule has to be touched as well.

Thanks!
Benjamin

Benjamin Murphy
NC Cardinal Program Manager
NC Dept. of Natural and Cultural Resources
919.814.6797 |  benjamin.murphy at ncdcr.gov<mailto:benjamin.murphy at ncdcr.gov>
https://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/ld/nc-cardinal

109 East Jones Street  | 4640 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4600

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.