[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 3.3 Release Update

Daniel Wells dbwells at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 12:40:56 EST 2019

Dearest fellow Evergreeners,

After several months of quiet contemplation and tireless toiling by many
members of the Evergreen community, it is past time for a brief message
from me, your minimalist 3.3 release manager.

First, as we enter this final trimester of the release process, it seems
worth revisiting the originally proposed timeline:

2/20/19 - Feature freeze
2/27/19 - Beta release
3/20/19 - Release Candidate
3/27/19 - Final release

Accordingly, we are now exactly two weeks away from our intended feature
freeze date.  Please recall, however, that there is now a one week buffer
between feature cutoff and the actual beta release, so if we reach the
evening of 2/19, and a few extra days would make or break your feature,
please do not hesitate to speak up.

I've spent a few hours over the last several days looking over everything
targeted at 3.3 in LaunchPad and trying to get a sense of where we stand.
As of this moment, there are exactly 99 uncommitted tickets for 3.3.  I
initially thought, "surely some of these do not have pullrequests," and
while that proved to be true for 8 or 9 entries, inspection showed them all
to be close enough to deserve their targets.  So, let's just say the 3.3
release has great potential!

Looking forward, and given the nearness of feature freeze, I want to
encourage everyone to focus their energy for the next two weeks on our
"Wishlist" tickets, as these are in the most present danger of being left
behind.  As of this writing, there are 25 unclaimed Wishlist tickets hoping
for inclusion in 3.3:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bugs?&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.importance%3Alist=WISHLIST&assignee_option=none&field.milestone%3Alist=86802&search=Search&orderby=title&start=0

While the other 74 bugs for 3.3 are certainly welcome at any time, we will
have exactly one month between feature freeze and RC to devote to the likes
of these.  It is worth noting, however, that a good number of those 74 are
officially "Undecided" in importance.  I did a pass through them all to
pull out any which seemed like feature requests, but if you feel I missed
something, please target accordingly.

Finally, in looking over things already committed for 3.3, I am struck by a
fair number of branches which are not flashy new features, but which
nonetheless are necessary endeavors to keep Evergreen humming along.  I'd
like to end this email with a special salute to those among us giving their
time and attention to things like Ubuntu and PostgreSQL version changes,
making sure it is something most of us never need to think much about.
Thank you!  If you are not one who generally watches LaunchPad closely, it
may be worth a few moments to peruse some of the committed 3.3 tickets to
see these folks at work:
https://launchpad.net/evergreen/+milestone/3.3-beta1

Sincerely,
Dan