[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 3.3 and copy/item alerts - mixed client use

Josh Stompro stomproj at gsuite.larl.org
Tue Nov 5 15:24:00 EST 2019

Thanks for the suggestions Martha and Blake,

After using the web client for a few days we discovered a few more things
about how the old and new copy alerts act.  The old
(asset.copy(alert_message)) alerts will still pop up during
check-in/checkout as long as there are no new style (asset.copy_alert)
alerts.  But there is no way to edit/remove them in the web client.

Also, there is no way to display the new style alerts in a column during
checkout, but it is possible to display the old style alerts.

So to ease our transition I'm going to attempt to synchronize the two
locations with database triggers (Like Blake suggested) until we are all on
the web staff client.  It won't be perfect, but for our basic needs it will
keep staff from having to add and remove alerts in two different
interfaces.  Only the first new style alert will be copied back to the old
location.  But we are used to using just one alert field at this point, so
that should work fine for the short term.

Here is my attempt at creating the triggers to synchronize the two
locations.
https://gist.github.com/stompro/610693d2ae25de5b591a75bb587e610a

Josh