[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hack-A-Way update and poll

Rogan Hamby rhamby at equinoxinitiative.org
Wed Jul 15 16:01:05 EDT 2020

Good afternoon,

Following up on my last email about the Hack-A-Way the planning group has
met and selected Hopin.to as the platform that we will use.  A doodle poll
is here for those who hope to attend so that they can select their
availability: https://doodle.com/poll/cucxe8q42p2qmmik

One of the major advantages of Hopin is that we can allow participants to
create their own breakout ad-hoc sessions.  These sessions can have up to
10 active / talking / on-screen participants and up to 100 people attending
the session.  That means 90 of the 100 at a time can only observe but as
people leave active participation others can step in, all without
moderation.  Participants can also share screens or windows of their choice
as well as actively share video and/or audio.

Moderated sessions can also be created as well as a "main stage" area for
planned events with speakers.  The reception area provides a nice
schedule and easy access.  Ad-hoc sessions can also be scheduled.  Some
large events are already being done with Hopin so I'm not concerned about
scalability.

The access  plan we are looking at for us does max out at 100 "tickets" for
the event but that should be plenty for the Hack-A-Way.  Although I expect
more participation with the online event than ones that require physical
travel 100 should still be enough.

In fact, the free tier of the platform addresses all of our core needs but
we are hoping to attract a sponsor that would pay for two months of access
to the platform for $99 a month (with a discount for non-profits).  This
would allow us to record the events as well.  We have not worked out the
details yet but the sponsor would receive recognition as well as possesses
the warm fuzzy feeling of doing a good thing.

Rogan Hamby, MLIS

Data and Project Analyst

Equinox Open Library Initiative

phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)