[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 3.3 hold targeter usage

Bill Erickson berickxx at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 17:32:18 EST 2020

Hi Josh,

Another benefit of soft retargeting is that it updates the hold copy maps
for all holds within the soft retarget interval, regardless of whether a
new target is needed.  This allows you to more frequently add newly
cataloged items to the hold copy maps, making them available for
opportunistic capture.

As for the timing, the more often you run in soft-retarget mode the better,
generally speaking, but it does cause load and there will be a point of
diminishing returns.

We're currently running the hold targeter once a day at midnight
with --retarget-interval "40h" --soft-retarget-interval "16h".  In essence,
each hold targets a copy for 2 days, but each hold is "refreshed" daily.
This seems to work pretty well for us.

-b