[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Processing hooks for action triggers in Evergreen 3.2 and crontab configuration

Linda Jansova skolkova at chello.cz
Sun May 3 13:23:12 EDT 2020

Hi,

We are trying to set up additional action triggers (and make some of the
default ones work) that send emails in Evergreen 3.2. However, it seems
that while some triggers work okay, some do not without a clear pattern.

We currently use the default crontab configuration:

# Action/Trigger entries ----

# Runs all pending A/T events every half hour
*/5 * * * * . ~/.bashrc && $EG_BIN_DIR/action_trigger_runner.pl
--osrf-config $SRF_CORE --run-pending

# Passive A/T event generation.
# Note: push these back to 3am so they will run after the fine generator
and spread out the start minute to reduce dogpiling
0 * * * *   . ~/.bashrc && $EG_BIN_DIR/action_trigger_runner.pl
--osrf-config $SRF_CORE --process-hooks --granularity hourly
5 3 * * *   . ~/.bashrc && $EG_BIN_DIR/action_trigger_runner.pl
--osrf-config $SRF_CORE --process-hooks --granularity daily
10 3 * * 1-5 . ~/.bashrc && $EG_BIN_DIR/action_trigger_runner.pl
--osrf-config $SRF_CORE --process-hooks --granularity weekdays
15 3 * * 0   . ~/.bashrc && $EG_BIN_DIR/action_trigger_runner.pl
--osrf-config $SRF_CORE --process-hooks --granularity weekly
20 3 1 * *   . ~/.bashrc && $EG_BIN_DIR/action_trigger_runner.pl
--osrf-config $SRF_CORE --process-hooks --granularity monthly
25 3 1 1 *   . ~/.bashrc && $EG_BIN_DIR/action_trigger_runner.pl
--osrf-config $SRF_CORE --process-hooks --granularity yearly

# Purge old A/T events
15 1  * * *   . ~/.bashrc && $EG_BIN_DIR/purge_at_events.srfsh

This means that triggers without any granularity value are processed using:

action_trigger_runner.pl –run-pending

without the --process-hooks parameter.

The documentation
(http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/reorg/3.2/command_line_admin/_processing_action_triggers.html)
mentions both

perl action_trigger_runner.pl --run-pending

and

/openils/bin/action_trigger_runner.pl --process-hooks --run-pending

Is it a good idea to add the --process-hooks to the default crontab
configuration as Josh suggested some time ago in the following Launchpad
bug:

„Hello, I think that the current example crontab file included with
evergreen is incorrect when it comes to running pending action trigger
events, and it doesn't try to process hooks for events without a
granularity set at all.“ (https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1468096)

?

The thing is that we have our test environment set up in such a way that
it does not send any emails to users and it is a bit of a challenge to
figure out what might be wrong with the particular action triggers
without actually seeing the emails sent.

Thank you in advance for sharing your views on this!

Linda