[Eg-oversight-board] Proposed Board Composition and Elections

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Dec 19 14:09:19 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:54:05PM -0800, Lori Bowen Ayre wrote:
> So we could change (a) and (b) as follows:
>
> Composition
>
> (a) The Oversight Board shall consist of no fewer than seven (7) and no
> greater than thirteen (13) members.
>
> (b) Board members must be a "significant and sustained contributor" to
> Evergreen as defined below under Eligibility.
>
> Since the Election Procedures defines how often (annually) and when (at the
> Evergreen Conference) and how (by majority vote of attendees) the election
> will be done, we don't need to reiterate anything in sub-part (a) in this
> section.

Thanks for your thoughts, Lori; I think I concur with you on those
points.

I'm attaching a plain text version of Elizabeth's proposed changes to
enable board elections for those of you who had trouble with the .docx
version.

I have some other comments (not yet formed to the point of revisions):

  * Composition (c):
    At no time may the board consist of more than one individual
    that represents a particular vendor or organization.

    Instead of "consist of", perhaps "include" is the intent? I'm a bit
    concerned about what "represents a ... organization" means - do nominees
    have to declare what organization(s) they plan to represent at
    election time? If a person belongs to a particular organization,
    does that automatically mean that they are representing them on the
    board? There's probably some overlap with the Conflict of Interest
    policy here, and to be honest I think I would prefer to see the
    Conflict of Interest policy deal with this rather than trying to
    block nominations or kick people off of the Board due to their
    (perceived or real) affiliations.

  * The "Eligibility" section mentions "significant and sustained" in
    its preamble, and then lists a long list of examples that, in a
    number of cases, also qualify themselves as "significant". This
    is a bit redundant, and also a bit redundant. (heh).

  * There is a reference to "remote voting procedures established
    under Article II Section 2.5, if such a remote voting process has
    been established" but no such procedures are mentioned in our
    current Rules of Governance
    (http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=governance:rules-of-governance-2011-04-30.pdf)
    - in fact, currently "2.6 Quorum and Board Voting" states "voting
    may not be done by proxy". So perhaps strike the explicit reference
    to a section that does not exist, and replace with something like
    "remote voting procedures, if a remote voting process has been
    established in the Rules of Governance"?

  * There is a reference to a "Nominating and Membership Development
    Committee" in "Election procedures" (b) - but as far as I know that
    committee does not exist. Do we actually need a nomination
    committee? or could we just use a wiki-based approach (like
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Elections) where nominees are
    added, or add themselves, to a section of the wiki?

  * The same section states "Each Member in good standing will be
    eligible to have one vote"; I suggest we strike this as we have no
    defined membership (at least not this year), and go with Lori's
    suggestion to rely on the conference attendee voting. (Perhaps
    we can tackle an action item for next year's board to work on
    membership definition such that voting can be inclusive of all
    Evergreen significant and sustained contributors, whether or not
    they are able to afford the time / expense of attending the
    conference - but I'm happy to go with the conference attendee
    approach for the short term)

  * The "Term" section looks like it needs to be integrated into the
    "Composition" section of our current rules of governance; there are
    some duplicate clauses about removal / resignation that are
    currently in the "Officers" section of the current rules of governance.

  * Have we painted ourselves into a bit of a corner with the deadlines
    for the "Transition to General Rules of Governance and General
    Elections"? We're supposed to present the rules of governance for
    approval of the general membership of the Evergreen Project during
    the conference (note: general membership is an undefined term), and
    we're also supposed to elect at least 1/3 of the Board seats during
    the conference, but our proposed rules state that notice of the
    slate of nominees must be sent out at least ten days before the
    election. I guess it's unlikely that the attendees at the conference
    will vote against the proposed changes to the rules of governance,
    but if they do then we'll miss our self-imposed election deadline
    and either have to come up with some remote voting procedures (and a
    tighter definition of who can vote), or wait until the next
    conference.

BTW, I've CCed the Conservancy in case they're interested in our
ruminations over our plans to add election procedures to our Rules of
Governance.