[Eg-oversight-board] Oversight Board Meeting

Stephen Wills swills at beyond-print.com
Tue Nov 15 08:45:46 EST 2011

In 2004, the U.S. Senate Finance Committee encouraged the formation of
a Panel on the Non Profit Sector.  Their charter has been to find ways
to strengthen governance, transparency and ethical standard in the
sector.   An advisory committee of the panel, headed by Rebecca Rimel,
President, Pew Charitable Trusts, and Joel Fleishman, Director,
Philanthropic Foundations Research Program, Terry Sanford Institute of
Public Policy, Duke University examined how organizations could
advance their respective understanding of self-regulation. The report
they produced provides a set of principals that are intended to
improve effectiveness and accountability of charitable organizations.

The principals they promote fall into four general categories; legal
compliance and public disclosure, effective governance, strong
financial oversight, and responsible fundraising.  They point out
that, across the Non Profit Sector, organizations probably already
practice many the their outlined principals already.

In general, statements of ethics appear to be incorporated as separate
documents, adopted by the organization or community.  The Rules of
Governance can formalize the process of the adoption of the document.
The rules would be amended to amended to call for either a standing or
ad-hoc committee that, on a given interval, would write,  present,
review and recommend a code of ethics.

Questions for us to consider are if we feel the need for a standing
vs. ad-hoc statement of ethics review committee.

Is the phrase "from time to time" appropriate?

I will continue to working toward a statement that can be considered
by the group, bearing in mind that it is desirable for us to reach a
consensus on it by April.

What do you require of me in order for that to happen?

The panel's report, "Principles for Good Governance and Ethical
Practice, A Guide for Charities and Foundations" is can be downloaded
at https://www.independentsector.org/accountability.

Steve Wills