[Eg-oversight-board] EG2013 (and future) conference website domains

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Feb 14 16:29:58 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm moving this over to the EG Oversight Board list, as my suspicion is that discussion of the conference website, particularly the longer-term proposals, may not be of particular interest to the SFC.

On Feb 14, 2012, at 1:42 PM, Dan Scott wrote:
> +1 to the proposal, it echoes ideas that we had kicked around in IRC
> years ago but never acted on.

And to be clear, here's my +1.

> In an ideal case, it would also be possible to archive the content of
> previous years, along the lines of  http://www.pgcon.org/2007/ through
> http://www.pgcon.org/2012/ for example.

I agree that archiving the conference websites is a worthy goal.

> If we wanted to archive the site, it would limit us to using fairly
> static content - a little bit of PHP to spice things up, perhaps - but
> we wouldn't want to have to deal with trying to prop up an aging CMS
> like Drupal or the like. (If I recall correctly, Michigan's conference
> site was largely crafted from a single page, and it looked good.)

Agreed.  An option for the future might be offering website host to the conference committees as a function of the website committee.

> If we go down the path of archiving sites, I'd love to see the
> presentation material archived as well (slides, if any, at a minimum;
> audio and video would be a huge bonus). In the past we've had a mix of
> practices; some conferences posted as much as they could on Scribd
> (sigh), some posted slides to the wiki, others I'm not sure.

If we had to choose one or the other, archiving (and organizing!) the presentations matters more to me than the conference websites.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton