[Eg-oversight-board] Oversight Board Discussion List - Decision Needed

McKinney, Elizabeth emckinney at georgialibraries.org
Wed May 16 09:46:38 EDT 2012

Good morning all.  Chris Sharp was doing routine upkeep on our mailing lists this morning.  In addition to deleting the old governance list address (preserving the archive), we reviewed the Oversight Board list to be sure the membership reflected our group.  There were many folks on the roster that volunteered for the initial board and never contributed, many general members of the community and many email addresses that seemed suspect. I asked Chris to delete all but the actual oversight board membership and there seems to be a heated discussion of this now in the community.

Question: If we make the mailing list open to the world, should we require a name and organization in an attempt to ward off undesirables?

Question: Do we want to limit the Oversight Board mailing list to members of the Board and those who need to receive our communications directly in order to perform work on our behalf? (ie Shauna, Val, Tara, Chris) Please note that our communications are archived and available publicly.  Of course now that I've upset folks limiting it will be an unpopular decision.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth McKinney
PINES Program Director
Georgia Public Library Service
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta GA 30345
404.235.7141
emckinney at georgialibraries.org