[Eg-oversight-board] Oversight Board Discussion List - Decision Needed

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at sfconservancy.org
Fri May 18 09:29:43 EDT 2012

Elizabeth McKinney wrote at 14:24 (EDT) on Thursday:
> Does the SFC have a [Code of Conduct] policy already in place that we
> could piggyback on?

Conservancy hasn't seen it necessary yet to create a Code of Conduct
policy for our projects.  In my experience, while there are some general
things that everyone agrees on (e.g., zero-tolerance for things like
sexual harassment, abusive language toward another person, etc.), there
are subtle things that differ from community to community that often
belong into Code of Conduct.

For example, some projects like to have a Code of Conduct that's
zero-tolerance on *any* infraction -- no matter how minor -- while other
communities like to have a formalized process of working with the
project leaders to help educate someone who acts inappropriately in the
hopes to reform the behavior, and save "you're banned" for only
egregious violations.

I would appreciate if you'd share your drafts with Tony, just so he can
take a look from a legal liability perspective, but I'd suspect that any
policy you come up with as a community should be fine, and these
policies tend to be community-specific in the finer details.
--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director, Software Freedom Conservancy