[Eg-oversight-board] Ideas for fostering community participation: survey, IRC practice time

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Aug 14 15:46:21 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Yamil Suarez <ysuarez at berklee.edu> wrote:

> To play devil's advocate, someone should reuse all of the valid warnings
> mentioned when someone suggests adding a new mailing list to the community,
> like fragmenting the community or just adding confusion. Also, should this
> channel be logged?

Well, it's a little different in that #evergreen-social would exist
primarily to keep the main channel on track; not that bot silliness would
be forbidden from #evergreen, but it might avoid the specter of a newbie
joining #evergreen, asking a question, and getting nothing but folks
playing with pinesol_green.

As an intentional relief valve, #evergreen-social probably should *not* be
logged.  A few projects run social channels; as one example GIMP operates
both #gimp and #gimps.

> Should we instead expand the use of the alternate EG IRC channel for
> social use also?

I don't follow -- an alternate EG IRC channel is exactly what I'm proposing.

In any event, I'm not at all wedded to the idea of creating
#evergreen-social, but I do sometimes wonder if the dynamic in #evergreen
is offputting to new users.

Regards,

Galen
--