[Eg-oversight-board] Ideas for fostering community participation: survey, IRC practice time

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Wed Aug 14 16:05:57 EDT 2013

On Aug 14, 2013, at 3:46 PM, Galen Charlton <gmc at esilibrary.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Yamil Suarez <ysuarez at berklee.edu> wrote:
> To play devil's advocate, someone should reuse all of the valid warnings mentioned when someone suggests adding a new mailing list to the community, like fragmenting the community or just adding confusion. Also, should this channel be logged?
>
> Well, it's a little different in that #evergreen-social would exist primarily to keep the main channel on track; not that bot silliness would be forbidden from #evergreen, but it might avoid the specter of a newbie joining #evergreen, asking a question, and getting nothing but folks playing with pinesol_green.
>
> As an intentional relief valve, #evergreen-social probably should *not* be logged.  A few projects run social channels; as one example GIMP operates both #gimp and #gimps.
>
> Should we instead expand the use of the alternate EG IRC channel for social use also?
>
> I don't follow -- an alternate EG IRC channel is exactly what I'm proposing.
>
> In any event, I'm not at all wedded to the idea of creating #evergreen-social, but I do sometimes wonder if the dynamic in #evergreen is offputting to new users.
>
> Regards,
>
> Galen

(I am resending this email, but now to the whole board. My bad.)

Galen,

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the alternate IRC channel #openils-evergreen

Here is how it is described in the EG site page[1] for IRC logs…

#openils-evergreen - Secondary IRC channel, occasionally used as an overflow during meetings and such.

Yamil

[1] http://evergreen-ils.org/irc_logs/