[Eg-oversight-board] Thinking strategically: EOB involvement in "future of EG XUL client"?

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Thu Aug 29 12:36:07 EDT 2013

Hello,

Right now someone brought up the topic of the future of the EG XUL client on the DEV list[1]. This topic has come up in the past, and I thought we could discuss it a bit at the next EOB meeting or just by email. I think it could be a situation were the board can try to provide some support and/or leadership for this type of long term strategic decision that will probably  have to be made. I am not suggesting that the board will be the one making the decision, but that we can try to help the process along.

For the record, my simple understanding of the issue is that the XUL client from Mozilla, which serves as the basis of the EG client, will very likely stop meeting EG's key needs in the long term. Again, my understanding is that the Mozilla XUL client development community's long term design decisions will conflict with what the EG software needs to work properly. This leaves the EG community with choices like continuing to use the versions of XUL client that still work for EG, though at some point we will not be able to use a ny new verions of the XL client. The EG community might also consider using an alternative design that replaces XUL client with something else.

Somebody else in the EOB can explain this much better than me, but I just wanted to start a conversation within the EOB, because this seems to be a situation were someone has to help keep a long term strategic mindset in mind.

Thanks,
Yamil

[1] http://georgialibraries.markmail.org/thread/6ltqtlzbk2iq27hj