[Eg-oversight-board] Resource allocator pre-conference - board update

Ben Hyman ben.hyman at bc.libraries.coop
Wed Dec 18 19:40:43 EST 2013

Hi all,

First, +1 to the incomparable Kathy Lussier!

-We are targeting Tuesday, March 18th, likely from 1300-1700, for this pre-conference.
-Kathy is looking into a bump for the room block on Monday, March 17th, accordingly.
-Likewise, Kathy is working to identify a suitable meeting room, but had at least one great idea for a venue in mind when we spoke recently.
-Additionally, Kathy has identified a willing - and I think qualified - facilitator[1], for the cost of a couple of meals. Kathy speaks well of her, and that counts a lot with me.
-IIRC, we are thinking no more than 30 participants, including the EOB. By my math, this means no more than 19 invitees.
-pending venue, catering and A/V details, I'm still thinking we're looking at a ~$1500 budget.

Depending on your feedback, thoughts or suggestions, I'll draft the invitation and invitee list in time for our next meeting.
If you have specific thoughts about the invitee list, please do let me know.

Cheers!
Ben

[1] Cindy Roach is the Head of Library Advisory and Development for the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC), which is the agency that authorized the grant that created MassLNC. She previously served as the administrator for the Southeastern Massachusetts Library System (SEMLS) where she often served in a consulting role for library directors and trustees and frequently facilitated planning sessions for these groups. Most of her experience is in libraries, not in open-source communities, but she does have a small bit of experience working in an open-source project. She was a member of the MassCat Steering Committee (a consortium of small public, special, and school libraries) when it selected Koha as its ILS. Her experience there was more administrative than hands-on open source work, but it gave her a view of some of the issues open source communities can face.