[Eg-oversight-board] 2014 Conference Budget Revision

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Jul 18 11:33:12 EDT 2013

Hi all,

At today's Oversight Board meeting, the 2014 conference planning
committee will be requesting a vote to approve a budget revision. The
attached budget reflects a change that exceeds the 10% that requires
Board approval.

As we've started to dive into the planning for the 2014 conference,
we've gotten a better handle on what our projected costs might be. Below
is an overview of changes we have made:

* Now that we have solid sponsorship categories, we have updated the
budget with additional sponsorship funds.
* The room rental fee was decreased slightly due to a higher food &
beverage minimum (see below)
* We added more funds for the reception. We will only be hosting one
reception at the conference, and, in costing out food and drink tickets,
we realized our original estimate was low. We saw a small reduction in
the room rental fee as a result of the higher catering estimate. We also
increased the reception sponsorship by $1,000 over last year to help
cover these costs.
* The quote for programs, when adding graphic design services, was
higher than budgeted.
* We added lanyards and USB's, but those costs will be covered by sponsors.
* The wireless fee, which was already quite high, only covered a 3Mbps
connection. The 7 Mbps connection adds $2,500 to the budget.
* We hadn't budgeted funds for conference video recording. However,
based on the feedback seen in the post-conference surveys and from the
2013 planning team, we would like to offer this service.

Although our budget was still showing a profit with the additional
expenses outlined above, it was a really tight budget that didn't leave
enough room for comfort. Last year's conference registration fees were
$200 for early registration and $250 for regular registration. In the
budget approved at the April Board meeting, we had increased the
registration fees by $10, but Amy and I are now asking the Board for
approval to raise them by another $10 to ensure that we are able to
cover all of our costs. If approved, the fees would be $220 for early
registration and $270 for regular registration.

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions. Amy will also be on
hand on today's Board meeting for the conference update.

Thanks!
Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier