[Eg-oversight-board] EOB meeting, Thursday, 18 July 2013, 2-3 p.m. EDT

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Jul 18 13:39:23 EDT 2013

Hi all,

For item 3 on the agenda, I have the following report:

I posted a message to the list asking for feedback on a possible policy
for listing support vendors on the Evergreen web site
(http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:evergreen_companies). The
discussion can be viewed at
http://markmail.org/message/tvitn6sfordu2dao.
<http://markmail.org/message/tvitn6sfordu2dao>

Bellow is a rough summary of the discussion:
.    There was general support for vendors sending out an e-mail
describing their services.
.    There was general support for requiring vendors to add a link to
the Evergreen project to their web site.
.    I didn't see any support for defining the service areas that should
be covered by this page.
.    An idea was raised that vendors should provide references received
support from -- it was difficult to get an accurate count on this, but I
would say there were three people who showed some support for this idea
and five people (including me) who opposed the idea. The idea was
originally raised as a way to confirm that the vendor provides Evergreen
services, but another supporter also indicated that we should asking
reference if they are satisfied customers.
.    The idea of annual registration was supported by three people.
However, another person objected to the idea, raising concerns about the
additional workload an annual process would entail, and another person
(me) suggested that we might want to follow the Koha model ("From time
to time, the Koha webmasters may check vendors to see if they currently
offer services.  If a company no longer does, their entry may be
removed.  All removals will be posted publicly to the Koha mailing list.")
.    There was some talk of how to treat vendors for third-party
vendors/services and how they might be better served by a different
page, possibly with some highlighting of third-party vendors that are
good contributors to the community. Grace Dunbar said ESI would be
willing to maintain such a page.
.    There were also a couple of people who endorsed moving forward with
the Koha model without necessarily speaking to the specific issues in
the thread.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator