[Eg-oversight-board] Merchandising Proposal

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 09:13:00 EDT 2013

As an action item at the last meeting I said I would present a proposal for
a merchandising committee at the next meeting.  What is below is meant as a
draft for feedback so that additional input can be incorporated before the
meeting.

Merchandising Proposal for EOB

- The EOB delegates the following tasks: design of merchandise, putting
materials on or off sale, managing of sales channels and selecting vendors
with the consent of Conservancy to a Merchandising Committee.
- The committee will consist of two to five members and at least one of
them will be a member of the EOB.
- There will be one chair who does not have to be an EOB member.  The chair
will act as an organizer and recorder of committee activities.  The
committee will act by consensus.
- Initial membership will consist of volunteers from the EOB and the
community as approved by the board.  If there are more volunteers than
available seats the board may select who will join by majority vote or
choose to make the position available to community vote.
- Service on the committee can be terminated at any time a member chooses
to leave.
- Only an EOB member will be authorized to speak formally to Conservancy on
merchandise matters (as a delegation of the role of the EOB chair as
project rep with Conservancy).  Operational communications can be
undertaken by committee members with the consent of Conservancy and the
committee as a whole.
- The committee will consult with the community proposed designs for
merchandise and provide mechanisms for input on selected materials.  All
merchandise and selected materials should represent some aspect of the
Evergreen community.
- The committee will prefer ethically sourced items even if they are of
slightly greater expense.
- The committee will prefer vendors that do not require a startup fee.  Any
requests for startup funding will need to be approved by the EOB.
- No merchandise will be offered whose sale in any ways provides a
financial benefit to current members of the committee or the EOB.
- The committee is not authorized to collect or hold funds without specific
Board approval -- all transactions must flow directly through Conservancy's
accounts for the Evergreen project.  The only exception anticipated is
on-site sales of merchandise at EOB sanctioned events (e.g. conferences),
but those exceptions must be specifically requested and expenses approved.
- The committee must provide bimonthly reports to the EOB on its actions by
writing the mailing list.

There have been questions about on site sales.  I may produced samples to
take to conferences but between inventory issues and the handling of money
selling is not an issue I want to deal with at this time.  We have had
several volunteers from the EOB already and I think there may be some folks
in the community who want to help.