[Eg-oversight-board] Update on user interface consultant

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Apr 16 16:59:50 EDT 2014

Hi all,

It's been several months since I've talked about the  sent an update
from the group that volunteered back in November to explore the
possibility of hiring a user interface consultant to work alongside the
web client project. My last update was in December when we were first
getting started -
http://list.evergreen-ils.org/pipermail/eg-oversight-board/2013-December/000639.html.

Back in January, Terran, Grace, Rogan, Yamil and I talked to a possible
UI consultant from the Boston area. However, the project slide to the
back burner shortly after that interview, and we just regrouped again
last week when we talked to another UI consultant also based in
Massachusetts.

The consultant we talked to last week was Hagan Rivers from Two Rivers
Consulting. Everyone on the call liked the conversation we had with
Hagan and thought she would be a good fit for our project. We discussed
the following goals for the project:

* Creating a UI style guide that can be used when designing interfaces
in the client.
* Possibly looking closely at the patron record display, holdings
maintenance and the copy editor for more specific recommendations in
those areas.

Since there is a big difference in the look and feel of the interfaces
once you move to them to the web client, we also all agreed that its
best for a consultant to work directly with the new interfaces as they
are being created instead of looking at the old client.

As a team, we need to send more details about the client project along
to Hagan and schedule another meeting with her before we can get an good
cost estimate for the project. I hope we'll be able to get all of this
done before our May EOB meeting. I don't think this necessarily needs to
be a discussion item for tomorrow's meeting, but I did want to let
everyone know how things are going.

Thank you!
Kathy

--