[Eg-oversight-board] Revised draft photography policy

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Jun 6 16:42:47 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Kathy Lussier <klussier at masslnc.org> wrote:
> Attached is a revised conference photography policy that incorporates a
> paragraph on repercussions as was discussed at the last EOB meeting. I'll
> send this draft along to the SFC, but please let me know if you have any
> further feedback.

Thanks.  I have a question about this part, where I think the wording
is a little unclear:

"If the Software Freedom Conservancy, the Evergreen Executive
O[v]ersight Board, or the Evergreen Conference Planning Committee
chooses to publish those photographs and recordings, we will publish
them under a Creative Commons license.  Conservancy and Evergreen
further reserve the right to use those photographs and recordings in
promotional materials to promote the Evergreen project and/or the use
of free and open source software."

I assume that this refers to photos and video taken by event staff? As
opposed to, say, the event somehow asserting that it has a blanket
republication license for all photos taken by attendees?

If so, I suggest that the following sentences or something like them
be inserted:

[1] At the beginning of the policy:

This policy applies to attendees of Evergreen events, including event
staff who are designated as official photographers and audio and video
recorders.

[2] Before the "If the Software Freedom Conservancy...":

"The event may have one or more staff taking photographs and/or audio
or video recordings during the event.  These staff will respect
attendees' preferences regarding photography and recordings."

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton