[Eg-oversight-board] Proposed conference photography policy

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed May 7 12:45:56 EDT 2014

Hi,

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that somebody could both want
to be active in the profession (part of which often entails giving
presentations) and have very good reasons for not wanting their
photograph taken.  Or even very bad reasons; the reason isn't really
our business.

While I would agree that the default speaker's agreement should
include the right for the conference to take photographs, make audio
and video recordings of their presentation, and distribute their
slides, I think it's reasonable for the program committee to have
leeway to make exceptions.

If a speaker doesn't want to be photographed at all, while the
conference obviously couldn't make a guarantee that images taken by
the audience won't end up on social media, it's certainly in its power
to do things like add notes to the program requesting that a
particular presentation not be photographed.

Regards,

Galen