[Eg-oversight-board] Proposed conference photography policy

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed May 7 15:28:06 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Rogan Hamby <rogan.hamby at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is in my mind in fact a more important point than the photography
> policy and that's the creation of a safe and welcoming environment at the
> conference.  I would expand this point beyond the issue of speakers being
> photographed and say we should address this in the harassment policy
> regarding any attendees.

I'm wondering if we're entering into violent agreement?

It's my view that the photography policy is part of an overall policy
for fostering an inclusive environment at Evergreen events.  I think
the proposed policy can be viewed in part as an extension of the code
of conduct, which includes harassing photography and recording as one
of the examples of harassment.  The proposal additionally supplies a
mechanism for attendees to express their preferences and accommodates
those who prefer not to be photographed at all.  Thus far, I see no
reason why speakers cannot be included under that policy -- albeit,
with an understanding that additional steps (e.g., notes in the
program) would be useful to counter the default expectation that
speakers are fair game to photograph while they are presenting.

I think you've outlined a good set of reasons for why bans (either
lifetime or of shorter duration) should be considered as an option for
sanctions under the harassment policy.  I do think that formally
adding that as an option will take a little more infrastructure for
the EOB to discuss, as by its very nature, deciding to ban an
individual from future events would need to be done by an entity that
continues to stay in existence from conference to conference.  FWIW,
though, I think that's an issue that need not be a blocker for
considering the proposed photography policy.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton