[Eg-oversight-board] Proposed conference photography policy

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at gmail.com
Wed May 7 15:02:38 EDT 2014

I would hope not either but if we're preparing policies to discourage such
behavior I think it's better to have substance behind it.  Immediate events
can be addressed via the existing harassment policy.  However, if we're
concerned about the choice being offered to a presenter to be photographed
or not to avoid harassment then I don't think it's meaningful to say "We
say it's not OK but if they take the photographs they took in secret and
post them the day after the conference with sexually demeaning language
that we gladly see them back at the conference next year."  I can't imagine
that would create the sense of a welcoming environment for a presenter.
 And that's what we're discussing right, the ability to make the choice to
be photographed or not in order to make a determination and set their own
boundaries?  Isn't that an integral aspect of the privacy discussion, the
ability to feel safe in what they allow?

This is in my mind in fact a more important point than the photography
policy and that's the creation of a safe and welcoming environment at the
conference.  I would expand this point beyond the issue of speakers being
photographed and say we should address this in the harassment policy
regarding any attendees.