[Eg-oversight-board] Agenda suggestion: Research if EG community can use OCLC records

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Mon May 12 16:56:04 EDT 2014

Hello,

This is a topic I briefly mentioned right before the April board
meeting, that I was unable to attend. I was discussing new RDA OPAC
functionality on Launchpad[1] with other community members. During
this discussion the topic of sharing OCLC RDA records came up once
again. since to correctly write RDA code for EG we need to have access
to good RDA records. I wondered if we could somehow involve the SFC to
helps us sort out what our are choices as a community to properly
share OCLC records with each other for testing/development purposes.
Thankfully in the meantime there are developers looking into getting
locally made RDA records or from the the US library of congress, for
developers to use for testing.

Since my library is an OCLC customer, a couple of weeks ago, I put in
a ticket asking if we could share a few dozen RDA MARC records with
developers in the EG community. They responded with...

"....
There is a discussion of WorldCat record use at
http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/community/record-use.en.html and the
associated links,
especially http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/community/record-use/policy/questions.en.html.
   If that information and
the links don't address your question, please use the email link on
that page to email recorduse at oclc.org with further questions.
..."

So perhaps before we discuss this at a meeting, I was wondering if
someone could help me make sense of these links, with or without the
SFC, to see what we can legally do with OCLC records.

Thanks,
Yamil

Thanks,
Yamil