[Eg-oversight-board] Agenda suggestion: Research if EG community can use OCLC records

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at gmail.com
Tue May 13 13:17:22 EDT 2014

The document is interesting but fairly straight forward and it separates
out rights and privileges into two groups though it doesn't explicitly say
so.  One set of privileges is those of any OCLC members who may download
the records.  The rights are those of the members who create them.  Note,
I'm not arguing whether this document is right or wrong, merely how I read
it's (sometimes inferred) assertions.

A key part for any OCLC member is :

The WorldCat Rights and Responsibilities policy outlines OCLC members'
rights to:

   - Transfer their data to individual scholars for their personal,
   academic or scientific research or study;
   - Transfer their data to library consortia and public agencies working
   on behalf of libraries;
   - Transfer their data to other libraries and educational, cultural or
   scholarly institutions, whether these institutions are members of OCLC or
   nonmembers;
   - Transfer their data to agents acting on their behalf.

So, this would exclude (if enforceable, again not saying it's right, just
looking at what it says) use in Evergreen of any OCLC record.  However, and
this is a really big however, we next have the rights of the creators.
 Now, this doesn't preclude potential use but it's OCLC saying "other than
their use in OCLC and as outlined above we don't set the rules for the
records, that's up to the record creators, we don't own them."

OCLC does not say this is required but is encouraging release under an open
license, specifically the Open Data Commons by Attribution license.  A full
discussion of those responsibilities would be an email thread in it's own
right but essentially the idea is that in some non-trivial way that folks
are likely to see we could re-use OCLC records released under this license
if we attribute the source and license.  I think this could be done on a
record by record basis within the MARC.  We would need to identify those
rights grants and ownership on a case by case basis but I think of several
ways that might practically work.  We could probably leave implementation
for another discussion though.

However (again), we can not use the OCN, OCLC that consider that it's
property but that's the only part of the MARC record it's claiming
ownership of.