[Eg-oversight-board] Agenda suggestion: Research if EG community can use OCLC records

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at gmail.com
Wed May 14 11:07:23 EDT 2014

Rather than retype everything I'm going to copy and paste from IRC for this:

eeevil

dbs / RoganH: heh ... I just brought up that point on the EOB list... ;)

10:54

RoganH

eeevil: that's actually debatable

10:54

RoganH

eeevil: and unfortunately recent court rulings would be against us there

10:54

eeevil

RoganH: the fact-ness of MARC, you mean?

10:54

RoganH

eeevil: yep.

10:55

RoganH

eeevil: the descriptive versus expressive work debate is an old one.  For
example, rankings used to be considered descriptive and facts but recent
court rulings have said if a unique process discovered them then they're
not.

10:55

eeevil

RoganH: I'm behind the times, then! IIRC, it was just 2005-ish when the
consensus was "they're facts" ... but, 9 years is a long time

10:55

RoganH

eeevil: so if you have a unique process to creating a MARC .... now,
another court may rule the opposite way

10:56

RoganH

eeevil: this stuff is up in the air, there's not absolute black and white
on it

10:56

eeevil

hrm... I thought Fiest did away with the process argument... but /again/
IANAL ;)

10:57

RoganH

eeevil: no, Fiest vs Rural established that a low enough amount of original
work is not enough but each judge gets to rule what is above that threshold

10:58

RoganH

eeevil: now, me, I would rule that a MARC record is below that threshold
and I can probably find 3 judges who would agree with me at least one that
wouldn't

10:58

RoganH

eeevil: the question becomes which judge hears your case?