[Eg-oversight-board] Agenda suggestion: Research if EG community can use OCLC records

Andrea Buntz Neiman aneiman at kent.lib.md.us
Wed May 14 12:00:14 EDT 2014

It's more time-consuming to retrieve, but LOC also has RDA records.
Their new interface seems to support a batch download, and they use the
040$e RDA designation, so if you go here

http://catalog2.loc.gov/vwebv/searchKeyword

and enter

040E RDA

as your term, it should return a set of RDA records.  Looks like you can
export them one page (up to 100 records) at a time into a UTF-8 or
MARC-8 file.

Some appear to be without subject headings, but they have the RDA 264,
336, 337, and 338 tags.

IIRC as LOC is a federal government entity, these records are free to
use & in the public domain -- anyway not a perfect solution, but it
keeps us from having to deal with OCLC and its complications.

A.

Andrea Buntz Neiman, MLS
Librarian II, Public Services
Kent County Public Library