[Eg-oversight-board] Conference budget

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Oct 30 13:46:34 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Thanks you for sending the proposed budget along Buzzy! All, it would be
great if we could have an e-mail vote on the budget soon so that the SFC
folks can begin finishing up the contract details for the venue.

I do have a couple of questions about the budget.

In the interest of cutting down costs, particularly when it comes to the
high food costs we see at these conferences, I noticed you added a lunch
to the budget for the 2015 conference. We did have a sponsored lunch at
the 2013 conference in Vancouver, but, otherwise, it isn't something
that has been provided at past conferences. Amy and I considered adding
one when we were considering a venue that wasn't close to many
restaurants, but we luckily ended up at a venue where lunch options were
numerous. Are you adding it to the conference because you're in a
similar situation where it will be difficult for people to find lunch in
a timely manner? If so, I would recommend adding it as another
sponsorship opportunity to help defray costs.  You could look at the
Vancouver conference's page to get a sense of how much to charge for
this sponsorship opportunity -
http://eg2013.sitka.bclibraries.ca/sponsors/index.html. It definitely
should be higher than a breakfast sponsorship.

Do you expect to have a food & beverage minimum in the contract with the
venue? I ask just to see if there is a potential for those food costs to
go down if registration ends up being lower than expected. Just to add a
data point for the rest of the Board, the registration numbers we saw
last year were 189 total registrations,  about 30 of which were one-day
registrations for local library staff who couldn't attend the entire
three-day conference. When our numbers came in lower than expected, it
was difficult to adjust the cost side of the budget because of our food
& beverage minimum.

The calculation for the recording fee appears to be off. I see $500 (per
day?, per session?) with a quantity of eight, but the total is $1,500.

Thanks!
Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator