[Eg-oversight-board] Evergreen financial update as of 2015-07-13

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Mon Jul 13 14:31:33 EDT 2015

Hi Tim,

I'm going to link to a plain text of my pastes (since my gmail does
weird formatting and it confused me for ages too till I saw the exact
spacing):  http://list.evergreen-ils.org/pipermail/eg-oversight-board/2015-July/001091.html

The special element that isn't immediately obvious sometimes is that
there are three major headings initially:  "Expenses:Evergreen,
Income:Evergreen, and Unearned
Income:Evergreen:Conferences:Registrations".  The rest of the content
are sub-bullet items that are more descriptive of those three major
areas.

So if you only take the three major areas and add those up, then you
reach the full total as indicated.

The confusion that sometimes occurs next (and the major point I think
Ruth Frasur was trying to spell out for us during the last
discussions) is how sometimes the sub-divided accounting does not add
up to the totals.  My current analysis is that this occurs because of
label variations in the comments describing the different types of
entries in the ledger.  For example, under "Materials" at $8,506.92
sub-total, you can see "Badges" for $3,506.09 and "T-Shirts" for
$431.85 which total up to only $3937.94.  So where is the rest of the
"Materials" lines that add up to the final subtotal of $8,506.92?
They're in the ledger, but just not descriptive beyond "Materials" vs.
"Materials:Badge" or whatnot.  Maybe if there was a "Materials:Misc",
then we'd see everything else show up as "Misc" under the line.

Clarifying the nature of these gaps in the comments for each given
entry for the ledger would be the natural next step in my opinion
towards producing a ledger statement that does not invoke confusion.

PS:  For the summary, I did not include the Conservancy entries, but I
have generated these as well now:

         $-22,606.62  Income:Conservancy
         $-22,571.20    Donations
              $-0.74    Interest:Dividend
             $-34.68    Royalties
--------------------
         $-22,606.62

That constitutes the amounts that the ledger records as having gone
towards Conservancy so far in the history of the project.  We could
add this to the complete summary as one giant statement I think, as
long as we remembered that the money for Conservancy isn't usable by
the Evergreen project.  I think this is why the original ledger
commands skipped over including statements about Conservancy's
donations.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum