[Eg-oversight-board] Fwd: Evergeen in Outreachy?

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Mar 19 11:02:18 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I meant to forward this along yesterday, but I got pulled in another
direction. Outreachy (new name for the Outreach Project for Women) wants
to know if we are interested in participating again for the summer.

It would require a quick turnaround time. They had put out a call for
organizations to participate last month. At the time, we were also
working on an application for GSoC for this summer. Because the number
of developers available to mentor GSoC projects was small and our
project ideas were limited to just two (see
http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=dev:summer_of_coding_ideas#project_ideas),
it was clear that the community could only support one coding internship
project this summer. Therefore, I did not follow up on seeing if anyone
wanted to pursue Outreachy again.

Unfortunately, the Evergreen community was not accepted into GSoC. When
we received the news, I thought it was too late to participate in
Outreachy, but it turns out I was wrong. If we wanted to participate, we
would need funding lined up and a commitment made in about a week. It
would also end up being a shortened application period for the potential
interns, which can be particularly problematic for Evergreen since the
bar is somewhat high to install Evergreen and get a code contribution in
by the deadline.

Having said that, I do know there were a few women who had shown an
interest in working on an Evergreen project. I think we heard from two
who were interested in Awesome Box, as well as another who had a project
idea of her own that is not on this list. Since I put in some work on
the GSoC application, I would be available to co-administer the program
with somebody else.

In addition to needing a volunteer to co-administer with me, we also
would need somebody to see if they can line up funding over the next
week. We used community funds for the internship the first time around,
but I think my proposal at the time was to use community funds to see
how well it worked and to seek outside funding if we wanted to do it
again. The total cost of the program is $6,500. I just don't have the
time right now to do the work that's needed to line up funding.

My personal opinion is that it's a lot of work to do in a short period
of time. However, the decision really belongs to the community, so I'm
sending this along to see if there's anyone interested in picking up the
ball to make the funding happen.

Thanks!
Kathy