[Eg-oversight-board] PR Proposal

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Mar 19 11:39:50 EDT 2015

Hi all,

At the last EOB meeting, Grace and I were left with an action item to
refine the public relations proposal to include the 2016 scope and
proposed budget.

I have refined the proposal to include the 2016 scope.

However, the proposal does not include a proposed budget. Instead, I'm
sending along a budget for our ALA exhibit along with a ballpark on the
cost of the entire program through 2016. I struggled with developing a
formal budget when we do not yet have a committee in place to identify
the  venues where we will be exhibiting or other PR activities we might
pursue. I would like to suggest that a formal budget be approved once
the committee has a chance to convene, meet and make some
recommendations beyond the exhibit at ALA annual.

Item 	Cost
Space Rental 	$800
4' Skirted Table 	$0
2 chairs 	$174
Electrical labor – 1 hour for installation 	$144
Electrical rental - 120v – 5 amps/500 watts 	$173
Internet - Economy Plus, 1 device, 512 kbps 	$595
Flyers 	$100
Signage 	$250
Giveaways 	$300
Shipping 	$250
Meeting Space 	$80
Other 	$633
*Total*
	$3,500

The three MassLNC partners (C/W MARS, MVLC and NOBLE) have agreed to pay
the space rental costs, leaving an estimated cost of $2,700 for the
community to fund.

In looking at a ballpark, we need to take into consideration the fact
that the above costs are lower than usual because we were able to get a
small press table as a new exhibitor. I don't think we'll be able to do
so for future conferences. The estimated cost for exhibiting at ALA with
a typical 10' x 10' booth, along with all the other costs identified in
the above budget, is about $5,000. I therefore am estimating a ballpark
of $5,000 to exhibit at a large conference (ALA, PLA) and maybe $2,500
to exhibit at a small conference or at a conference that has special
rates for small organizations/non-profits (OLA, code4lib).

Assuming that we plan on either two large conferences per calendar year
OR on large and two small conferences per year during the trial period,
the ballpark is about $17,700 (nothing that the first large conference
will cost $2,700 instead of $5,000).

The revised proposal is below:

PUBLIC RELATIONS PROPOSAL

* This proposal is for the Evergreen Oversight Board to:
    1. establish a fund to be used for increasing the visibility of
Evergreen in the larger library community;
    2. and form a Public Relations Committee charged with organizing the
PR activities for which those funds will be used.
* The PR Committee will comprise up to six members of the Evergreen
community, at least one of whom should be a member of the Evergreen
Oversight Board.
* The EOB will be responsible for appointing volunteers to the committee.
* The tasks of the committee will include, but not be limited to,
establishing a presence at library conferences by renting and staffing
space in the exhibit hall, organizing Evergreen users meetings, and/or
encouraging presentations from Evergreen community members; issuing
press releases on noteworthy happenings in the Evergreen community; and
raising funds for PR activities.
* Any activities that require travel among Evergreen community members
are expected to be done by people already planning to travel to those
events. The EOB will not reimburse for said travel. Volunteers staffing
exhibit booths may be eligible for free registration that comes with
renting the booth, but there is no guarantee that registration fees will
be covered.
* Any activities that require the expenditure of funds must be approved
by the EOB.
* The committee must provide regular reports to the EOB by writing to
the mailing list.
* The Public Relations Committee will work on a trial basis through
December 2016, at which time the EOB will evaluate the activities and
effectiveness of the committee and determine if it is worthwhile to
continue its work.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator