[Eg-oversight-board] Conference budget EG2016

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Nov 18 09:42:16 EST 2015

Hi all,

I'm adding a perspective as a past conference co-chair:

I don't know if the Board every clarified if the 10% increase was at the
lineitem or total expenses level. However, looking back on previous
conferences, I think the practice has been to go back to the board when
when the increase was in one specific area of the budget.

IOW, I wouldn't look for approval on a revised budget if my reception
costs increased while I also lowered my breakfast costs, leading to an
overall food & beverage increase of less than 10%. But if my total food
& beverage increased by more than 10%, then I would bring the budget
back to the Board.

I think it strikes a nice middle ground. By requiring approval for
increases at the lineitem level, you run the risk of micromanaging the
conference. By only looking at the total costs, you could run into a
situation where the conference team arbitrarily decides it's unnecessary
to provide wireless access to attendees because they want to put on a
better reception. I don't think the latter will happen, but I think you
would want to make sure there is Board involvement in any decision to
unfund something that has traditionally been funded.

Kathy