[Eg-oversight-board] ROG Amendment Proposals

Gagnon, Ron gagnon at noblenet.org
Tue Dec 20 11:24:52 EST 2016

Good morning,
At our last meeting I volunteered to develop language for two desired
amendments to the Rules of Governance: new Board members not being eligible
for officer positions in the first year on the Board and conducting a
special election to fill the terms of departing members, rather than having
the Board choose a successor.

I've drafted some language for both those issues for your consideration.
For the second issue, I've assumed the election would be to fill out the
remainder of the departing person's term (though I doh't think that was
said either way).

The first-year issue gets more complicated when you think about it, should
there be an influx of new Board members for some reason.  The Rules should
not lead to a dead-end if there are not sufficient continuing members to
fill the three officers and the fiscal rep. slots, or if a continuing Board
member was unwilling or unable to serve (we probably should not force
them).  I think I've addressed all the possibilities, not sure if that
waters it down too much from your original concept.  It also seemed to make
sense to put the new language as a new clause at 2.5.4, following the
officer discussion, rather than following three removal clauses, so those
three would be renumbered.

My new proposed language is in bold on the Word file.

Please let me know if this does not meet what you had in mind, or if I've
overlooked something.

Happy Holidays!
Ron

--